Saturday, December 17, 2005

Laugh Track on "The Daily Show"?

By Cassandra D

Did anyone else not get what the heck people were laughing at last week when Demetri Martin did his "Daily Show" report on the Xbox 360? That was so unfunny, I thought for certain that "TDS" must have resorted to a laugh track to spare the guy's feelings. Or perhaps he packed the audience with his friends. I had already cringed through his previous "Trendspotting" report on the targeting of youth by the wine industry and sincerely hoped I would never see him again. His return made me think that he must be the nephew of someone who holds the purse strings.

Then I read that ol' Demetri is a successful stand-up comic. He's a so-called "younger generation" comedian, so maybe I'm just too old to like him. But, really, is there anyone out there who thinks he's funny? And since he graduated from college in 1995, how much does he qualify as a "youth" anyway? A shaggy haircut doesn't magically make someone 20.

Harrumph. Don't be messin' with my "Daily Show."

6 Comments:

At 4:46 AM, Anonymous anycollegestudent said...

I was an audience member on the Daily Show and they specifically reminded us to laugh loudly because they don't use a laugh track.

But I have no proof that they weren't just lying to me

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Daniel Gale-Grogen said...

Demetri sucks, although I was dead certain that the shaggy haircut seals the deal on rolling you back to 20.

 
At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I have to say that I thought the xbox 360 bit was pretty funny. I thought the Wine piece was a little strange and I felt uncomfortable for the guy - being the new guy and all. He'll work into a groove just like the other "reporters" on the show.

As for his youth - I graduated college in '95 and today, at 34, I am certainly the authority figure on youth. hizzat the shizzat. *smirk*

 
At 1:46 PM, Anonymous turtle said...

Anyone still with enough hair to grow it convincingly "shaggy" can call himself 20 all he wants as far as I'm concerned. I would if I could.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Cassandra D said...

How about that Friar Tuck style, bald on top and shaggy all around?

 
At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Blue said...

I'm a little behind, but Cassandra D is absolutely correct. This guy definitely is not Daily Show caliber. Monotone + blank expression + bad hair DOES NOT = good comedy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home