Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Trust Is Unpatriotic

By Cassandra D

Here's an excerpt from a great post at The Mighty Middle's Center Line:

I want to address a part of this controversy: the "trust me" issue. Trust Mr. Bush not to abuse the system. Trust the president.

No.

The United States of America was born out of a deep distrust of concentrated power. Ten thousand years of human civilization had made the case crystal clear for our Founding Fathers: governments can never be trusted.

Governments are certainly necessary. Trusted? No. Read the Constitution.. What you see is an almost obsessive concern for breaking power down into controllable chunks.

So, be a Patriot. Question authority. That's something I wish Congress, particularly Republicans, would do more of.

4 Comments:

At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Hang Tuff said...

That's a good reminder for all of us. The current administration is expert at attaching "blind" to "patriotism," when it seems the only patriotism really of value is the kind that comes from open eyes.

 
At 11:30 PM, Anonymous Red Dirt said...

Yeah, 'cause Republicans NEVER question big government, do they? I guess it's only patriotic if you question certain aspects of government policy. But if you question massive social spending boondoggles, public school failure, DNC eunuchs whispering behind the curtains of the palace of power in D.C. and the like then you're not a patriot? Give me a break, and get real. For someone who likes to pose as a moderate, that's a pretty narrow definiton of patriotism you've got there. Where'd you find it? Mother Jones or Utne Reader? I hate to be so cranky, but utter nonsense puts me in a bad mood.

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Cassandra D said...

You insult me, Red Dirt.

Where do you get that I don't approve of questioning all aspects of government policy? I'm all for it. Questioning spending and influence is great. So is asking questions to make sure that the proper balance of power between the three branches of our government is maintained.

I never said that Democrats were blameless, and I never said that the ONLY requirement of a patriot is to question authority.

We are the guardians of our nation for our children and their children. We fall down on the job if we don't take our turn at protecting and preserving our form of government, just as we do if we let the deficit spin out of control and schools continue to decline. It's all important.

 
At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Red Dirt said...

I bow to your riposte.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home