Wednesday, April 12, 2006

I'm Biting My Tongue

By Cassandra D

I have a couple of friends (seven, to be exact) who honestly thought that GWB was a great president and deserved reelection. I, on the other hand, was one of the few people who actually really liked Kerry, and not just as the lesser of two evils. My Bush-supporting friends and I couldn't talk about the election at all.

Remember how high feelings were running in 2004? There was an intense feeling of urgency on both sides. I had never before volunteered in a political campaign, had never before donated directly to a presidential candidate, and had never before felt that the future of our country so desperately depended on the outcome of an election. When Dumbya (as Chase likes to call him) won I was in despair. His victory prompted my turn to blogging for solace.

Now I just wanna say:

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!

I haven't and won't, though, because I still value those friendships. And if I were to find out that my friends still think GWB is a great president I would lose so much respect for them that I'm not sure I could trust their judgment on anything. Best to leave it alone.

So I'm biting my tongue.

But I do wonder: How many people out there who voted for Bush would vote for Kerry if they could do it over? Do Bush's abysmal poll numbers mean that Kerry would win in a redo, or do those who are newly aware of GDub's shortcomings still think he's better than Kerry would have been? Do they still believe that the smear campaign against Kerry was based solely on fact, or does the dawning awareness of Dubya's lying and unethical behavior begin to cast doubt on some assertions made during the campaign?

It seems that every day there is a new revelation about the incompetence, zealotry, or criminality of Bush and company. And every day I want to ask: Is this what you people really wanted?

But I'm biting my tongue.

Still,

59 MILLION AMERICANS AND MOST OF THE REST OF THE PLANET TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!

7 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Anonymous flamewhore said...

Ah, the beauty of a blog. GWB is definitely a big fat LEMON and I would like a refund.

 
At 6:24 PM, Anonymous Athena said...

I am still getting over the 2000 election. I just want to get the hell out of this Kingdom.

 
At 9:55 PM, Anonymous Brett said...

I'm biting my tongue, too, because as bad as GWB may be or may be perceived to be, the 2000 and 2004 elections are over and my party's being run by the guy who couldn't beat the guy who couldn't beat him.
That bodes well.

 
At 6:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cassandra, that was ... really subtle and erudite.

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Cassandra D said...

Thank you, Red Dirt! ;-)

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Janet said...

The fact that there are STILL people who stand by that man scares me more than the man himself.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Cassandra D said...

Amen, Janet. And you have a very scary point, Brett.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home