Wednesday, April 05, 2006

This Joke is Getting Old

By Cassandra D

"You've got to be kidding me!"

I don't know about you, but I've just about worn that line out when it comes to the current political and social climate in our country, thanks in large part to President George "Compassionate Conservative" Bush.

Here's another doozey, brought to us by The New Yorker, in Michael Specter's March 13th article (sorry; no link to be had):

"Religious conservatives are unapologetic; not only do they believe that mass use of an HPV vaccine [to prevent cervical cancer] or the availability of emergency contraception will encourage adolescents to engage in unacceptable sexual behavior; some have even stated that they would feel similarly about an H.I.V. vaccine, if one became available. 'We would have to look at that closely,' Reginald Finger, an evangelical Christian and a former medical adviser to the conservative political organization Focus on the Family, said. 'With any vaccine for H.I.V., disinhibition'--a medical term for the absence of fear-- 'would certainly be a factor, and it is something we will have to pay attention to with a great deal of care.'

And now for the punchline:

"Finger sits on the Centers for Disease Control's Immunization Committee, which makes those recommendations."

Of course he does.

The next time I will ask if I'm being taken for a ride, it'll be when someone tells me that Bush has appointed someone who is both sane and qualified to do a job.

3 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Blogger Larry Mondello said...

At least they practice what they preach: abstinence. They abstain from thinking as often as possible.

 
At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Dr. Pants said...

Every day of the Bush presidency feels like I've been taken for a ride. To the country. Where I will be let out of the car and shot.

 
At 4:50 PM, Anonymous flamewhore said...

When I was in highschool H.I.V. was the scariest disease imaginable. How sad that a real weapon against AIDS is being held up in the name of morality. If a teenager gets pregnant let's not give her prenatal vitamins.

Maybe if I don't eat chicken I won't get the bird flu.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home