Monday, May 08, 2006

Move Over, Surly

By Cassandra D

I know that Surly is supposed to be this blog's curmudgeon, and I'm supposed to be the Leftist. But today I'm going to out-surly Surly.

What I want to know is this: What is the expiration date on the cheesy plastic memorial flowers that mark the sites of tragic traffic deaths?

I've lived in my house now for six years and there are two such spots nearby that predate my arrival. One, affixed to a lightpole says, "MOM" in faded pink and white plastic glory. Another, at a nearby intersection, gets a red plastic floral update every year or so. At the shopping mall a few miles away, someone has created a little shrine, complete with cross, American flag, and lots of bunches of plastic flowers, all next to a tree by the parking lot.

I'm all for remembering and honoring the dead. But how about putting up a fountain or planting a tree? How about some real flowers? How about having the memorial in a "memorial garden," a.k.a. a cemetery?

Sure, I'm sorry for their loss, but everybody has loved ones who have died, and life goes on, right?

4 Comments:

At 1:52 PM, Anonymous Rancid Rick said...

I always thought those were for squirrels and such. Boy, you really ARE heartless!

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Larry Mondello said...

I'm with ya, Mama Cass. Isn't that was graveyards are for?

The only time I think it's appropriate is to mark an unsafe traffic site where there are numerous accidents.

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous flamewhore said...

It seems that mourning in this country is no longer a private matter. Sometimes I think those markers are going to cause an accident.

 
At 12:17 PM, Anonymous turtleboi said...

I agree it's a stupid, trashy practice. I'm envisioning a world where, instead of cemeteries, we just put memorial markers on every spot where someone has keeled. Would we even be able to get from point A to B?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home