Wednesday, June 14, 2006

"Is That Water I Hear?"

By Cassandra D

I recently received correspondence from "flamewhore," who is a loyal reader of and frequent commenter on this blog. She poses an interesting question about cell phone etiquette.

Is it okay to talk on your phone in a public restroom?

Yeah, I know there are some people who have zero problem with carrying on a phone conversation while visiting the commode. Kind of icky, but if you don't mind having someone hear your elimination, and they don't mind being on the receiving end of that auditory delight, then more power to you both.

But what about in a public restroom? To me, that seems just a tad beyond weird. Flamewhore reports that she has witnessed this phenomenon with ever increasing frequency in women's restrooms, and also that her husband claims to see it in the men's room all the time.

Really?

Is this the new normal in men's rooms? Is it becoming normal in women's rooms, too?

Yick.

***************
ADDENDUM:

Our ruder than Rude Pundit Oklahoma blogger Dr. Pants weighed in yesterday with an excellent reason cell phones should not be used in public restrooms. Leave it to His Local Rudeness to explain in graphic detail what I dared not.

10 Comments:

At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm adding the phrase "auditory delight" to my everyday vernacular. Now when my sweetie pie passes gas I can say: "Thanks honey for that auditory delight!"

 
At 1:38 PM, Anonymous flamewhore said...

It is really unnerving when you spot your former boss chatting it up in the stall you just exited.

 
At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Dr. Pants said...

Am I really that rude? I mean, I know I'm an asshole and all, but ruder then the Rude Pundit?

 
At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Red Dirt said...

I see a Sunday NY Times "Style" section feature in the future on this trend. Yes, it's true... I have witnessed it several times recently and wondered WTF? They just keep blathering blithely away as they stand at a urinal. ANother sign of our society's decreasing civility.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Cassandra D said...

Yes Pants, you are rude, and we love you for it! Perhaps not quite as crude as Rude Pundit, but ever so witty with your rudeness.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Chase McInerney said...

I have witnessed the talking-on-the-cell-phone phenom many a time in the men's room. My favorite is when someone answers the phone when he is in a stall, and the first thing you hear the guy say after answering hello is : "Taking a shit. You?"

That happened yesterday.

 
At 8:41 PM, Anonymous flamewhore said...

No way Chase!! I don't believe you. Do men really say that kind of thing to each other?

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Larry Mondello said...

I'd rather they take care of their business on the phone while they're taking care of their business on the throne instead of in a movie or on the plane during takeoff. As for the mens room at the urinal.. isn't that why they invented the hands free device???

 
At 10:57 PM, Anonymous Red Dirt said...

I'm thinking these are the moments when this blog really shines, carving out new scatalogical territory in the blogosphere!

Chase, to add to your regular features category why not solicit weekly "poo-poo beep-beep" stories about great bathroom cell conversations?

 
At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chase DID hear that in a stall. He just forgot to tell you that he heard it coming out of his own mouth.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home