Wednesday, August 02, 2006

And Ye Shall Know Them By the Email They Forward

By Cassandra D

I still haven't learned my lesson and, once again, I opened email from a casual friend whom I hadn't heard from in a while. It had been long enough, in fact, that I thought that perhaps there was something really important in that forwarded message, or in that untitled email with the attachment.

Wrong on both counts, but rather enlightening about my friend.

The first email was the usual sappy, gag-enducing chain mail with the mercenary twist at the end. But this one added a little brow-beating:

"There are more than twenty angels in this world. Ten are peacefully sleeping on clouds. Nine are playing. And one is reading her email at this moment. Send this message to ten of your friends including me. If you get 5 replies, someone you love will surprise you. Happy days. Don't break this; it's working!"

The second was an offer to let me lend my name to a petition to President Bush:

"Had an interesting conversation with a lady of Hispanic origin last week. She told me that she planned to come down to St. Mary's and get a job in Admissions (where I work). When I pointed out that we didn't have any openings, she advised me that "soon" current employees will have to be fired to hire bi-lingual employees. According to this lady, the Spanish speaking people of the US are going to demand that all public facilities - like hospitals, courthouses, etc. - be staffed by people who read, speak and comprehend Spanish.

We hear about the silent majority but I think we are going to have to speak up or find ourselves a conquered country. That would be an interesting historical note - greatest land in the world conquered by Mexico without ever firing a shot! Think about it.

A. Petition to require citizenship to be eligible for social services in the United States
B. And learn to speak English.
C. No amnesty
D. No free services for illegal immigrants.

Agree or Delete: Instructions to sign are at the bottom.

...(several hundred names here)...

If you don't forward the petition and just Stop it, we will lose all these names. If you do not want to sign it, please forward it to everyone you know. "

Isn't it funny that you can define a huge swath of the Republican faithful by their belief that 1) magical things will happen if only we forward enough email, and that 2) Mexicans are trying to conquer the United States?

Do you think I should let my friend know my political beliefs? I have decided to just keep my mouth shut and my keyboard silent (except here, of course, where I can vent). I will merely risk her wrath for breaking the angel chain.

4 Comments:

At 8:53 PM, Blogger BlueDreamer said...

Yes, I do think you should let her know what your beliefs are, and while your at it let her know my beliefs as well. Contrary to what she's learned, Mexicans aren't conquering the United States, they are becoming the majority! And good for them. I am so tired of the Republican/O'Reilly talking points on immigration in the United States. Study after study show that second generation Americans assimilate and prosper in this great country of ours and a little help at the DMV and DHS by way of bilingual employees seems like the compassionate thing to do. But the more Christian/Fundamentalist, and by proxy Republican, our coutry becomes the less compassionate we are. Furthermore, attempts to codify language will always fail. Language is fluid, living and will always revert to what people are speaking. Consider the history of Latin in the academic and religious world. What was once the lingua franca died kicking and screaming, but it died none the less.

 
At 10:46 PM, Anonymous Red Dirt said...

Cassandra and "bluedreamer," ye shall know others by the sweeping generalizations they make.

How is it you divine that this rather annoying communique you received represents a "huge swath" of the Republican majority's belief that emails have magical powers and that Mexicans are on the reconquista warpath?

Do you have some firm evidence to back up that assertion, or are you just assuming -- and you know the cliche about that?

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Chase McInerney said...

RedDirt, I have a friend who has a lot of your same views... but is SOOO much more polite.

Anyway, Cassandra, I would just politely tell your friend that it's time to know the truth: YOU'RE Hispanic. And if she doesn't get with the program, you're taking that bitch's job.

 
At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Red Dirt said...

I guess I should have put a ;-) after that post. I rectify that error by doing so now.... ;-) but still and all, don't you think it WAS a sweeping generalization to write, "Isn't it funny that you can define a huge swath of the Republican faithful..."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home