Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Oklahoma Voting Machines

By Cassandra D

Yesterday was runoff election day in Oklahoma. As I cast my vote, I thought again about what great ballots we have here. As is the case with nearly every Oklahoman, I have a large share of Oklahoma's trademark inferiority complex and self-loathing (fed by stories like this one), but I really do believe our ballots are the best. I have also lived and voted in California and Ohio, and Oklahoma's system is infinitely better.

You use a black marker to complete the arrow by your choice, then put the ballot into the machine. Your vote is scanned and tallied, and the ballot is stored. In short, we have a computerized voting system with an idiot-proof paper ballot for verification and recounts.

Our country could do a whole lot worse than make this the national standard.

So, since we have (in my clearly very scientific opinion) the best in the country, are we going to have others follow our lead? Apparently not.

We are, it seems, changing to touch screen voting.

I tried to find confirmation of this, but couldn't. I hope it isn't true. Otherwise we would be being faithful to the insecure Oklahoma way, dumping our system in the belief that if it's ours, it must be bad and must be exchanged for the crappy ways of, say, Florida.

Come on Oklahoma! We know we've got footballs, and now even basketballs. Do we have any other balls?

4 Comments:

At 11:43 AM, Blogger RedDirt said...

Cassandra, here we agree. Oklahoma's ballot system has always seemed right in line with the common-sense approach of our state. I don't buy into the notions of Diebold conspiracies, but I do think our system here is just fine.

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Dr. Pants said...

It's as simple as it gets voting here. But adding new technology to non-problems is the American way.

I mean, when is the last time you had to wait in line at the movie theater for tickets, now that they have those nifty touch screen kiosks?

Oh...yeah...every time. Well, shit.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Conrad Spencer said...

I agree that Oklahoma's voting system is probably the best anywhere. But as far as being idiot-proof, I remember someone once said that as soon as you invent anything idiot-proof, someone else will come along and invent a better idiot.

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger CGHill said...

Whatever that Oklahoman article said, it's behind the paywall now, and it can stay there.

I don't think we're actually going to switch any time soon, but I think it's a safe bet that we'll experiment with the Evil Machines, if only because it's considered immoral to pass up a Federal grant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home