Monday, December 18, 2006

My Pop Culture Triumph

By Cassandra D

Anyone who knows me knows that I am pop-culturally challenged. For instance, this weekend we were watching "Saturday Night Live" and a skit called "The Barry Gibb Talk Show." I turned to Chase and asked, "Isn't it Andy Gibb? Who is Barry Gibb?" I was then informed that Barry was part of the Bee Gees, along with brothers Robin and Maurice, and that Andy was their younger brother. Oh well...

Last night, however, I had my own personal pop culture victory. We were listening to Belle & Sebastian's song "Take Your Carriage Clock and Shove It," and until I heard the title I thought it was a remake. In the back of my mind I could hear the wispy woman's lyric "...but I've been to paradise...." though I couldn't remember anymore of the original song.

Google makes sleuthing so easy. I plugged in that lyric and was led immediately to Charlene's Motown song "I've Never Been To Me," which was, apparently, a hit in 1982 and is one of the songs in The Adventures of Priscilla: Queen of the Desert. A visit to the iTunes store confirmed the duplicated melody.

I was so excited and thought I might have been the first to notice, but another Google search proved it wasn't to be. But old news in the music world is still good news to me. The pop culture portion of my brain may be small, but it is occasionally functional. Hooray!

5 Comments:

At 8:46 AM, Blogger Dr. Pants said...

That's OK. My wife had to explain to me, in detail, why the Fatboy Slim song "Weapon of Choice" was to "Dune" what the entire Led Zeppelin catalog is to "The Lord of the Rings."

By the way, you're not worming out of lunch next time, lady.

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Cassandra D said...

Hmm....She'd have to explain it to me, too.

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Dr. Pants said...

"Walk without rhythm and you won't attract the worm."

And he keeps referring to his voice as his weapon of choice, which is the weapon of Paul Atreides.

It's all here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weapon_of_Choice_%28song%29

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger LilRed said...

I am just happy that someone else besides me still watches SNL.

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Dash Riprock said...

Dick in a box!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home