Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Celebrating Lactating

So the New York Daily News is reporting that nearly 150 breast-feeding moms swooped down on Barbara Walters' Manhattan offices to protest remarks she made on "The View," comments that rankled the milky mothers. Evidently, Babs noted that she felt uncomfortable on a recent airline flight in which another passenger was breast-feeding a rugrat.

The Daily News milked the protest for all it's worth:

" 'Just look away if it's really that offensive,' said Anushka Paris-Carter, 32, of Manhattan's East Village, as she fed her 23-month-old daughter, Sasha. The women - carrying signs like 'Mama's latte is best' - said they worry the comments might keep new moms from nursing. Some are demanding an on-air apology.

" 'I'd do it on the subway. I'd do it in the library. I'd do it in the park. I've never been a particularly shy person, but some people are, and they shouldn't be discouraged from doing something natural,' said Jennifer Sheridan, 42, who brought her two children, each breast-fed for two years."

While we don't have much of an opinion on the subject, we will say Jennifer Sheridan sure sounds like someone worth knowing.

5 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I typically vote in favor of all things topless, but breast-feeding is pretty nauseating.

Besides, the "Just look away if it's really that offensive" arguement shouldn't work for moms if it didn't work during my indecent exposure trial.

 
At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry..."23 month old daughter?" I'm of the opinion that if your kid can eat a steak, she can drink from a cup. I'm just sayin'...

 
At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I eat in public, so I don't see any reason a baby can't as well. Besides, "lactivist" has to be one of the coolest new words I've seen this week.

 
At 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what codswallop is but I can say this. . . actually being a woman with breasts a couple of children have suckled, I think it is a better option. However, I don't agree with the idea that formula is an abandonment of your children. Some of us women are not fortunate enough to be able to breastfeed, some of us choose not to because we work, and in those instances, thank you Nestle and all you other evil corporations for giving us something to count on. I wasn't breastfed because it didn't fit with mummy's schedule, and I graduated from college--twice, once with honors!! I think you do what you can in this world and being raised on formula isn't so bad. It's safer than a ride to pre-school in daddy's station wagon, but we do that every day, don't we?

 
At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a 22 year old male and I was not breastfed as a child, but I would love to be breastfed by hot young mothers now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home