Monday, December 12, 2005

A Quick Note While He's Away

First of all, thanks for the congratulations from all you good people. Indeed, Apple Rosebud McInerney is less than a week old (OK, Apple Rosebud isn't her real name, but since Daniel G-G started that jag, I'm willing to go with the nom de guerre) and she's doing great.












Apple Rosebud McInerney

Secondly ... this new parenting business is -- for lack of a better word -- intense. I know, I know -- everyone, and I mean everyone, had told me that caring for a newborn meant hard work and very little sleep, but I don't think I quite understood that very little sleep meant exactly that. Mrs. Chase is getting even less sleep than I am (the reasons for which decorum prohibits my getting into) so I can't complain too much, or at least not while she's awake.

Anyway, at three in the morning last night, after I had fumbled to change Apple's fourth diaper within the hour, I realized that for the life of me I could not think of the name of that thing with the deal on top out of which the baby drinks.

The name completely eluded me. I asked my wife if she had prepared a (long pause) stethoscope. She was appropriately uncomprehending. Eventually the word came to me after what seemed like an eternity. For those of you keeping score at home, the word was bottle, defined in this instance as "a receptacle filled with milk or formula that is fed to babies."

At any rate, the incident impressed upon me that it might be a long while before I am able to devote the amount of time and, dare I say, intellect to this blog that it deserves. As a result, you might not see much from me for the next several weeks. Just know, dear readers, that my thoughts and prayers will be with you. Especially while I frantically wipe mustard-colored feces from Apple's tiny behind.

Of course, that doesn't mean CTTC will be silent. Thankfully, we have a number of fine contributors to these parts, and I'll be leaning on them to pick up the slack over the weeks to come. And of course there is a whole slew of top-notch sites listed on the sidebar on the right side of this page. So please, keep checking in every so often; otherwise, the terrorists win.

By the way, did I mention that our new baby is beautiful and sweet and adorable as all get out? I know I might be accused of bias in this matter, but trust me: She is -- and that's coming from someone whose fondness for babies ended around the time Roseanne Barr leant her voice to Look Who's Talking Too.

Keep on truckin' ...

1 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chase was too tired to form memories last night. Otherwise he would have known that he was even funnier. After the stethoscope comment, he could NOT think of the right word. I asked him, "What is it for?" To which he replied, "Every three hours...We use it to feed her." From that I was able to supply the required word.

For any doubters out there, Chase is a wonderful father and husband. He was beside me the whole time, exactly what I needed, during the labor and delivery. These first few days have confirmed what I have known all along, that our baby could not have a better dad.

Thanks to all for your good wishes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home