Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Happy Birthday (All Cynics Avert Your Eyes)

Forgive the personal nature of this post, but I want to wish a happy birthday to the love of my life ... and, no, it's not my plasma-screen TV.

The real love of my life -- the most loving, beautiful, intelligent, compassionate, caring and generous woman I've ever known.

Only a few years ago, I was a confirmed bachelor, and I was positive I'd remain a confirmed bachelor, forever eating spaghetti over the kitchen sink, waking up hungover awash in the aroma of stale cigarettes and a vague sense of guilt.

She changed that. As maudlin as it sounds -- and I realize it does -- I think she saved me, which is only appropriate, since that is kind of what she does for a living (albeit not in the way that phrase is usually associated here in Red State territory). Her life is a gift, to me and to the many, many people whose lives she has touched and continues to touch. I'm thankful for all the million things about her that mesmerize me -- her smile; her big brown eyes; her penchant for antiquated expressions better suited for 1940s' musicals ("good grief," "oh, dear," etc.) ; her almost otherworldly compassion for every stray animal she comes across; her complete and utter lack of organization; her genuine marveling at the most seemingly innocuous things ("just think, every business and store was once somebody's dream of an idea!"); etc.

OK, I'm gonna stop for I embarrass myself further.

Anyway, happy birthday, baby. I love you.

5 Comments:

At 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pht. He wrote that same piece about me two years ago. I hate you, Chase. I hate you!

 
At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He sure can go on and on about that Condoleezza Rice screensaver.

 
At 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A little sappy but kinda heartwarming nonetheless. Happy Birthday wife of Chase. He's way luckier than you.

 
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow -- love in the Blogosphere. Next thing you know, Kos and Wonkette will have a baby blog.

 
At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog and happy birthday!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home