Sunday, January 23, 2005

Johnny the Magnificent

R.I.P. Johnny Carson -- a true icon, generational touchstone and the greatest late-night talk-show host of 'em all (I wholeheartedly concur with Chazz's sentiment that Jay Leno has always felt like a guest host). In honor of the late, legendary "Tonight Show" host, The New York Times has reprinted Johnny's final monologue, from May 22, 1992.

"It's been a hell of a lot of fun. As an entertainer, it has been the great experience of my life, and I cannot imagine finding something in television after I leave tonight that would give me as much joy and pleasure, and such a sense of exhilaration, as this show has given me. It's just hard to explain."

Read and remember ....

And then check out this exceptional Frank Rich New York Times column from 1992 about Johnny Carson's place in the nation's collective unconsciousness.



2 Comments:

At 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carson could be kinda cheesy at times ( remember his JC Penny clothing line???) but no one could be more relaxed and in control. It sent you to bed feeling al was right with the world, even when things were wrong. Leno is too animated, too goofy and not funny. Letterman has his moments, Jon Stewart fills a niche, Dennis Miller.... oh, he just sucks... > but there will never be another Johnny

 
At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Johnny was great, but I wish one of the gazillion obits would mention my one big beef with him: he continually allowed George Segal to show up with his freakin’ banjo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home