Thursday, June 02, 2005

The Musical Baton Passeth

Damn you, Dr. Pants and your damn meme! Still, in deference to Net etiquette, I will dutifully fill out the latest music-related meme:

Total volume of music files on my computer -- No clue. When I got married, I ended up shucking my old computer, which had thousands upon thousands of music files, in favor of my wife's computer and her aversion to illegal downloads. As a result, there probably aren't more than 100 mp3s on there. Damn you, RIAA!

The last CD I bought -- Weezer's Make Believe.

Song I'm listening to right now -- "Perfect Situation" of the aforementioned Weezer record. Rivers Cuomo writes hooks big and fat enough to hang a hundred mob informants.

Five songs I listen to a lot, or that mean a lot to me --
The Fountains of Wayne, "Hey Julie" -- Just about any FOW song is a surefire remedy for a bad mood. And thanks to global warming, I have more than my share.

Elvis Costello, "I Hope You're Happy Now" -- One of the greatest post-breakup-screw-you-bitch songs ever recorded, a masterpiece of that particular and oft-overlooked genre.

The Eels, "Fresh Feeling" -- An amazingly upbeat love song from an amazingly downbeat band, and one that means a lot to me for personal reasons that have nothing to do with feminine hygiene.

The Beatles, "In My Life" -- John Lennon was wise even as a teen. The song never fails to give me chills, although I screw up the lyrics.

Bruce Springsteen, "Thunder Road" -- And on the sixth day, God haunted this dustry beach road in the frames of burned-out Chevrolets.

Five people to whom I am passing the baton --
Chappy22 -- 'Cause I want to know what Beltway conservatives are listening to. So sue me.
OKPartisan -- 'Cause I dare her to think of the names of five bands or musicians.
Ceres -- 'Cause I have a suspicion she can turn it into a snarky post on Otto's taste in popular music.
JRH -- 'Cause if anyone can make this meme seethe with venom, it's our man down in the Sunshine State.
Joe Gandelman -- 'Cause I wanna know what politically moderate ventriloquists listen to. So sue me.

There. I feel cleansed now.

5 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's a musical meme ... and how come no one asked me?

 
At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You trashed your Napster collection? For a woman? Such depth of devotion is heartwarming.

Heartwarming but bittersweet, as I shed a tear for the loss of thousands of novelty songs, tv themes, obscure Burt Bacharach covers, commercial jingles, DNC sound bites, Amos & Andy outtakes, Vivid Video commentaries, Romanian folk songs, jazz flute instrumentals, and Patti Page B-sides that we all loved so dearly.

 
At 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What you have to realize is that every song on Chase's former computer has been burned onto at least one meticulously catalogued CD. The man has, for instance, his own double-disc set of "greatest hits" for each year since the 1950s. Besides, his old computer is still in a pile in our basement, waiting to divulge its musical secrets if given the chance.

 
At 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo, Chase's Wife. Keep up the good fight. Intellectual Property theft is still theft and rationalizations should be left to the catholic church hierarchy.

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Tim Chapman said...

Total songs on my computer: 1,834

Last CD I bought: Coldplay's X & Y (don't care much for their politics but the music suits my taste)

Songs I am listening to now: Cherry Lane by Ryan Adams. I think it is by far the best song of his new album. The girl who backs him up can sing damn good and I like hus crustier voice on this record -- although in general the record recalls too much grateful dead for my taste

Five Songs I Listen to alot:

1 - Falling Stars by T the Band (these guys went to my college, they are by far the best band you have never heard of) http://www.thetroubadours.com/

2 - Ryan Adams -- Every Song on Heartbreaker over a glass of strong whiskey

3 - Coldplay -- Fix You...I am into this song right now. It is more lyrically weighty than a usual coldplay song and they actually pick up the tempo for once

4 -- Jesse Malin -- God's Lonely People. This is Ryan Adams on drugs
http://www.jessemalin.com/

5 - Frou Frou -- Let Go. With a name like Frou Frou what's not to love

 

Post a Comment

<< Home