Thursday, June 08, 2006

Gay Marriage: A Guest Weighs In ...

A longtime reader of this blog is hopping mad (hopping mad or hopped up, I forget which) about the Republicans' ever-handy -- and fabricated -- wedge issue of gay marriage. And so, without further adieu, I turn the blogging duties over to a dear friend, Crumbles, who wants to get something off her chest ...

By Crumbles

OK, so Chase is a good friend of mine. He has two groups of friends: The really smart ones and the rest of us (you members of the latter group know who you are). Anyway, he has invited me to post before, but I never have because of my lack of self-esteem. Lately, however, I just want to scream about something.

It is this -- a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage. Which begs the question: What the fuck?

Frightening. I had lunch yesterday with a couple of my best friends, one being a member of Chase's latter group of friends, (see above), and one squarely planted in the former. Their intelligence level is of no consequence, however, as all I could think of was their sweetness and happiness and love for one another. They're gay men -- married to one another -- and they're in love. They take care of each other and their respective families.

And frankly, if I had to choose between them taking my children (after my husband learns about the affair and commits the inevitable murder-suicide) or a few of my straight couple friends taking my children, there would be no contest. The gay guys win hands down.

So, the question I have for those hardcore opponents of gay marriage is this: What exactly is your problem with it? What does gay marriage actually threaten? How does it hurt you and yours? I've tried and tried to think of answers to these questions, and I just can't think of any. And I don't think it's due to the fact that I'm a member of Chase's "rest of us" group of friends.

Someone please enlighten me. Seriously.

1 Comments:

At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not that we didn't already know this, but that link solidified it. Jim Inhofe is a complete freak. The guy is downright scary.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home