Friday, June 02, 2006

When the Evening Come

By Conrad Spencer

Just after I complain about the time I spend commuting I go and have one of those rare moments of absolute commuter bliss.

Yesterday afternoon it rained, cooling everything off and giving a welcome respite from the unseasonably warm temperatures. When I left work the sun had returned, but not the heat. It was perfect weather to open the sunroof and roll down the windows.

Outside the city the interstate was blessedly unencumbered. The radio played "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay" and I drove 90.

Granted, that's not doing much about the peak oil problem, but you've got to take your joy where you can find it.

2 Comments:

At 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Conrad, on one hand, I do have to scold you for wasting a precious resource. I am seriously bugged by speeders -- partially due to safety, partially due to the need for responsible oil use.

HOWEVER, "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay" is one of my long-time favorite songs. I hope you were listening to the Otis Redding version.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Conrad Spencer said...

Bit by bit, I'm weeding out the vices of my youth: I quit smoking; I started exercising; I try not to watch too much TV. I haven't got to speeding yet, and therea are still a couple others higher on the list.

I didn't know there was a version other than the Otis Redding.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home