Monday, October 09, 2006

Ad-larious

There are two kinds of people in this world (OK, in the spirit of full disclosure, I will concede there are probably far more than only two kinds in this world, but for the purposes of this thought, stay with me): Those who laugh at television advertisements, and those who do not.

I have long prided myself on being among the latter. Hell, I usually never even appreciated the creativity of ostensibly highfaluting Superbowl commercials. Whether the item being hawked is Dentyne or Depends, it makes no difference to me.

Well, made no difference to me, that is. My wife -- or, more specifically, her family -- has made me a commercial laugher. It's a new phenomenon for me, and not one I'm particularly proud of. The only other TV commercial I can think of offhand to elicit giggles from me is Spike Jonze's brilliant Ikea ad.

A little more than a week ago, Mrs. Chase and I are watching the tube and that ridiculous "Messin' with Sasquatch" ad comes on -- you know, the one where some guys "mess" with the elusive beast by smearing shaving cream on him. Then Sasquatch wakes up, goes apeshit and smacks one of the pranksters, sending the kid flying. That's it. End of story. And it made me giggle.

Giggle. I might have even drooled a bit.

God help me.

1 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't mind commercials so much if they'd only spread them out a bit. Those same inane Partnership for a Drug-Free America ads over and over are enough to prevent me from being able to watch Comedy Central or the Cartoon Network for more than an hour and a half at a time. What might be clever or amusing once quickly becomes torturous. If I see that cell phone ad with the mother and daughter who yell compliments at each other one more time I may finally do what the bumber sticker says and kill my television.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home