Friday, December 03, 2004

Have Yourself a Merry Little Meltdown

In department stores throughout the country, the phrase "Merry Christmas" is finding itself replaced on banners by -- I hope you're sitting down for this -- pagan expressions like "Season's Greetings" and "Happy Holidays." Grrr.

That's right, these money-grubbing bastions of evil consumerism are tip-toeing around Christmastime all in the name of ... of ... inclusion !

The Committee to Save Merry Christmas is the latest crackpot organization to find mischief where there is none.

Group founder Manual Zamarrano blames the conspicuous shortage of "Merry Christmas" sloganeering on a "covert and deceptive war ... to culturally pressure merchants, businessmen and individuals."

There's really not much more to say. People are crazy.


2 Comments:

At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even though I'm a conservative on many issues, this is one of those places where Chase and I intersect and wholeheartedly agree.

Haven't the phrases "Happy Holidays" and "Season's Greetings" been around for years? At least as long as I've been enjoying sugar cookies and colored lights, for as far back as I can remember.

And it was always explained to me -- as a kid growing up in the Bible Belt, in my very Catholic household -- that these phrases were intended to include people of other faiths in the holiday season, so that we could all enjoy the festivities as Americans.

Early 1970s Oklahoma elementary schools were not dens of political correctness, but I remember distinctly learning about Chanukah, and playing with a dreidle in our 2nd grade class. This would have been circa 1976.

Chase is right.

But there is one more thing to say (and say it often, by the way): HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

 
At 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I am a Christian I am going tonight to celebrate the first day of Hannukah (and I hope that that is one of the correct spellings) with a family that has a 6-year-old boy. I went to Wal-Mart hoping to find some Hannukah wrapping paper and some menorah candles. Not anything in their "Holiday Store" other than Christmas stuff. Irritating. Why don't they call it what it is: their Christmas store. I have nothing but support for "Happy Holidays," but "Holiday Store" at Wal-Mart is false advertising.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home