Thursday, March 09, 2006

Up in Smoke

U.S. cigarette sales are at their lowest level in 55 years.

That's good news. Hell, it's great news.

I smoked my last pack (Camel Lights, in case you must know) in the fall of 2002 and, with the exception of maybe one or two lapses around that time, I've been smokefree ever since. Still, I smoke in my dreams -- nearly all my dreams. Speaking as a quasi-textbook addictive personality, and one whose misspent youth involved sampling more illegal substances than Baskin-Robbins has flavors, I can say without hesitation that tobacco is the most viciously addictive drug I ever encountered.

4 Comments:

At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved me some Camel Lights, smoked 'em for years before quitting several years ago. Before that I sucked down Reals in the red box until they stopped making them. Got started on Marlboro Lights, which had plastic rings in the filters so you could hold them in your teeth like Warren Oates.

A little Mexican food, a little beer and a Camel Light, mmmm. I need a power nap.

 
At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whenever I get a hankering for tobacco, I find nothing quells the urge like throwing on my copy of All That Jazz. Talk about the deglamorization of smoking. It'll make you want to quit like Leaving Las Vegas makes you want to quit drinking.

 
At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I quit two years ago and I still love the smell. I saw an unlit cigarette on the ground today and thought about picking it up, no one would know...

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Candace said...

The first ten years are the hardest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home