Tuesday, September 27, 2005

The Killer (Sorta) from Anadarko

It was on this date way back in 1906 that an Oklahoma original, the late great pulp crime novelist Jim Thompson, drew his first breath. Fittingly, he was born in the county jail in Anadarko.

From his 1952 seminal work, The Killer Inside Me, about a seemingly benign sheriff with a streak of psycho murderer in him:

"I've loafed streets sometimes, leaned against a store front with my hat pushed back and one boot hooked back around the other -- hell, you've probably seen me if you've ever been out this way -- I've stood like that, looking nice and friendly and stupid, like I wouldn't piss if my pants were on fire. And all the time I'm laughing myself sick inside."

You gotta love it.

1 Comments:

At 11:58 AM, Blogger MDC said...

Thompson's memoir Bad Boy is an excellent read.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home